This really IS the view from my front porch. Sweet, huh?

Friday, April 8, 2011

1 of 1 Marries 7 of 8

I am an only child.


My husband is the next to the last of 8 siblings.

His oldest sister was born the same year as my mother.  Basically, he is from one generation and I am from the next.  Needless to say, we often have different views about things.  His mother stayed home and worked in the garden, took care of the household duties and had supper on the table most every night when her husband came home.  My mother worked outside the home, attended college three nights a week (when I was a teenager) and on those nights, Dad and I fended for ourselves – usually something from a can, box or a bag.  Dad could cook but he also worked long hours with the end of his work day being at sundown.  Both are examples of parents working hard to provide for their families but there is quite a difference, huh?

Being an only child, there are a lot of things done between, by and to siblings that I do not even begin to understand.  I’ve often asked “Is this normal?” when observing actions between my children.  As an only child there was no pecking order to be established, no one to fight for the remote with, no one to tattle on, no one to accuse of being the creator of a mess forgotten, etc.  While our house was undoubtedly quieter (no sibling rivalry), I wonder what I missed out on.      

Bill Cosby once said, "You aren't really a parent until you've had your second child." While I don’t totally agree with this statement (My parents were wonderful parents!) I understand where he is coming from.  Watching the McCarley siblings interact with each other has given me an education as to how this thing is done. Their ability to finish each other’s sentence and to actively participate in three or more conversations at once is amazing.  They possess that “don’t you mess with MY sister/brother” attitude.  The love is so obvious between them.  They are there for each other through the good, the bad and the ugly. 
 
I’ve learned over time that most issues between siblings will work themselves out, be it who actually owns which shirt, who’s turn is it to do the dishes or why “she got to do that but I can’t”.  My Step-Mom talks about how her mother used to tell them to “take it to the barn.”  I like that idea.  Ricky’s next building project may very well be a barn.


Love you girls!!




No comments:

Post a Comment