This really IS the view from my front porch. Sweet, huh?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Finish Line

I was recently reminded about this.



This story made me cry.  I think it beautifully portrays a father’s love for his child.  That he would go so far to help his child achieve something - to help that child finish the one thing he has worked so hard to attain. This father was so in tune with his child’s goals that those goals became the father’s.  This video also shows God’s love for us and his desire that we draw our strength and support from Him.
My Dad died three years ago today.  I don’t mean to memorialize the day of his death but every year on April 12th I think about what I had in a father and about what I lost.  I remember that last conversation we had together just 9 hours before he lost consciousness.  We made plans for the next day.  I had something I wanted to show my Dad and he was excited to see it.  Neither of us had any idea that moment would never come.
A dear friend of mine buried her father just four days ago.  We’ve talked a lot about death, about what death means for the person dying and what it means for those of us left behind.  We are sad for what we have lost yet we rejoice for what our fathers have gained.  Both men fought the battle of cancer and all that comes with it.  Their diseased bodies and life of pain have been replaced with glorified bodies and they weep no more.  This puts a smile on my face.
Some may think my Daddy spoiled me.  I like to think he helped me attain my goals.  I know that more than once he carried me across the finish line.
Daniel D. Schmatjen
April 15, 1932 - April 12, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment