This really IS the view from my front porch. Sweet, huh?

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ole Glory

The City of Clarksville goes all out to add color and interest to the main drag through town.  For each holiday Main Street is decorated with related seasonal banners on the poles.  This looks especially festive in the fall months with orange, yellow and brown leaves dancing in the breeze.  Around Christmas and on into January there are white snowflakes on sky blue banners.  A few days each year American flags are proudly displayed. 
It is such a beautiful sight to enter town and see rows and rows of red, white and blue.  This happens every patriotic holiday and on the birthday of important people. 
 I can still remember when I was little I thought they put the flags out on June 14th each year for ME!!  I was certain that the only important thing about this day was that it was my birthday.
Some of you are still at a loss as to why American flags would be posted on this day.  June 14th is known throughout America as Flag Day.  The week of June 14th is designated as “National Flag Week.”  During National Flag Week, the president will issue a proclamation urging U. S. citizens to fly the American flag for the duration of that week.  President Barack Obama’s Flag Day proclamation states:
“When the American Flag soars, so too does our nation and the ideas it stands for.  We remain committed to defending the liberties and freedoms it represents. And we give special thanks to the members of the Armed Forces who wear our flag proudly.  On Flag Day, and during National Flag Week, we celebrate the powerful beacon of hope that our flag has become for us all, and for the people around the world.”
While my parents were quick to educate me about the history of Flag Day, they still allowed me to inwardly celebrate that the flags were on display for me just like they are to celebrate the birthday of
George Washington
and
 Abraham Lincoln.
I like that they wanted me to feel important.

As a parent now, I understand better their reasoning.  We want our children to be self confident and know that they carry the necessary traits to be great things, even become a president.  If it were up to us parents a flag would fly on each of their special days.

My children have heard this story and love reminding
me that the flags were out just for me today.  Thanks
girls for keeping the memory alive.  May we make
many more special memories in the years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment